If you are like many other consumers, you only think about signing a new service contract for your internet or television provider when you move into a new home or apartment. However, you may take advantage of these special offers for new customers at any time, often without penalty from your current provider. While you may need to wait until the end of your current provider’s promotional period expires, you can generally cancel your contract and sign an agreement with a new provider as soon as the promotional period ends.
For instance, if you signed a 12-month contract for your internet service when you moved into your apartment three years ago, it may be time to negotiate your rate or sign an agreement with a new provider, as doing so could give you a better monthly deal on your internet bill. To learn more about which new service discounts cannot be missed, especially if you are on a strict budget, review the sections below.
While the internet company you use generally depends on where in the U.S. you live, popular internet providers include Comcast Xfinity, AT&T Internet, Verizon Fios, Charter Spectrum, HughesNet, Exede Internet, CenturyLink, Frontier and Cricket Wireless. When you sign up as a new internet customer with Xfinity, AT&T Internet or Verizon Fios, for instance, you receive benefits such as:
- Xfinity provides new customers with one year of internet for just $29.99. However, customers must sign a one-year contract to lock in this rate. Additionally, Xfinity’s internet plus basic television package is available to customers for $34.99 for the first 12 months, without the need for a contract.
- AT&T Internet provides new customers with one year of internet for $50 per month. However, customers must sign a one-year agreement. As another option, new customers may obtain an internet and DIRECTV package for $75 per month for the first 12 months. However, customers must sign a 24-month television agreement and a 12-month internet contract.
- Verizon Fios provides new customers with 100 Mbps of internet with a one-year price guarantee of $39.99 per month. Additionally, no annual contract is needed.
Most television providers offer new customers a variety of benefits such as lower rates on entertainment and free movie channels. In most cases, these benefits are only available to you during the promotional period. At the end of the promotional period, your discount will end, and you’ll need to pay full price for these services. However, you may also choose to cancel your subscription and switch to another provider once you meet the terms of your contract. For instance:
- DIRECTV provides new customers with more than 155 channels for $35 per month for a 12-month period. Plus, new customers receive free movie channels for the first three months. However, new customers must sign a 24-month agreement.
- Dish Network provides new customers with 190 channels for $59.99 per month for the first two years. Additionally, new customers receive free movie channels for the first three months. Like DIRECTV, however, new customers must sign a 24-month contract.
- Amazon Prime Video provides new and existing customers with access to thousands of popular television shows and movies for $8.99 per month, with the ability to cancel at any time. Moreover, Prime Monthly provides customers with additional benefits, such as free two-day shipping, Kindle eBooks and photo storage for $12.99 per month. To save on these comprehensive benefits, you may also choose to pay an annual rate of $119. If you are eligible for Medicaid or use an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card, however, may obtain these Amazon Prime benefits for just $5.99 per month.
- Hulu provides new customers with several benefits as well. First, new customers may obtain one month of service for free. If they wish to continue their service, they may sign up for Hulu for just $5.99 per month for the first year. After the first 12 months, users may continue their subscription at a rate of $7.99 per month.
- Netflix offers a one-month free trial to new customers, with the ability to cancel at any time. At the end of the trial, customers may cancel their subscription, or they may choose to pay just $7.99 per month for a basic streaming plan.
If you rely on public transportation or don’t own a vehicle, you may be familiar with using ride-sharing services, such as Lyft and Uber. While these services don’t require you to sign a contract, you do need to sign up, enter your credit card payment information and download a smartphone app before you may book a ride. Moreover, both services provide new customers with discounts on their first few rides.
Through Lyft, for instance, you simply need to visit the company’s website to enter your telephone number if you wish to receive a $2 credit for 10 rides, a $5 credit for two rides or a $3 credit for three rides. Through Uber, you can create an online account to receive up to $15 off your first ride. If you use multiple email addresses, however, you could sign up several different times to obtain the new customer discount.
4. Food Delivery
If you’re unable to cook or you’re looking to eat a healthier diet, signing up for a food delivery service may be the best solution for you. After you sign up for free or discounted meals through many of these services, you may cancel your account at any time. For instance, the following food delivery services provide new customers with discounts or free meals just for signing up:
- Hello Fresh
- Green Chef
- Home Chef
5. How to Cancel and Start a New Contract
At the end of a promotional period, you may contact your current provider to negotiate for a better rate, or you may choose to cancel your subscription. If you cancel your subscription, you can take advantage of the many other new customer discounts that are available to you. In most cases, you can sign up for a new service online or by telephone. However, the cancellation process varies by provider, and you will need to refer to your contract or agreement for specific instructions (if you signed a contract). To cancel your Xfinity services, for example, you may do so online, in person, by mail, via telephone or through email.
If you choose to negotiate for a better rate, however, you should contact the provider by telephone, and ask to speak with a member of the cancellation department. Then, politely but firmly let the sales representative know that you plan to leave the company for a competitor if they cannot lower your monthly bill or find a way to accommodate your request. In this case, the provider may be likelier to give you a better deal or provide you with a one-time credit. However, you should be prepared to walk away from the provider before you call to negotiate.
Related Article: Cutting Utility Expenses
By Jennifer Symonds –